Thursday, August 1, 2013

OWS's Recorder Program

OWS students have the opportunity to play recorders beginning in third grade.  At the beginning of the year, we take orders to buy soprano recorders for third-graders and altos for fourth-graders (and sometimes tenors, for older kids with big enough hands.)  When the recorders arrive, I begin having classes once a week for each grade.  Kids have to skip one half-hour lunchtime recess in order to attend class each week.  Students who attend these classes faithfully get to play in the spring concerts.

Students who especially enjoy recorder may also sign up for "Extreme Recorders" after school (on Thursdays, at least for this first trimester).  At the beginning of the year, it's open only to fourth-graders and up; third-graders may join us in the second trimester, after they have a good idea of what it's all about.

I love playing recorder (I even do it for fun with friends) and love to share the joy of ensemble playing with my students.  I collect and create arrangements of interesting music at varying levels of difficulty, so as to serve as many kids as I possibly can.  If your child is among our recorder players--or is interested in joining us--I am thrilled!  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment